Water Softeners: The Pros and Cons
Water softeners are beneficial for a lot of different reasons. However, they have some drawbacks as well. Due to these various pros and cons, many homeowners wonder if installing a water softener is right for them. At Christian Brothers, we want you to have all the information you need to make a clear and calculated choice on this matter. In this article, we provide a snapshot of what to expect from a water softener. Firstly, let’s start with what a water softener does.
Water softeners are water conditioning systems that remove certain minerals in your water that cause the water to be hard. Water that is hard tends to have an excess amount of these minerals and can cause scaling and buildup. As a result of this buildup, you will need piping repairs more frequently and experience more problems in your plumbing. We’ll go over this a little bit later on.
Basically, a water softener acts as filter that prevents this hard water from getting into your home plumbing system.
There are plenty of great things about having a home water softener but they also come with a few challenges.
- Household appliances last longer- When you have hard water, your household appliances tend to wear down at a faster rate. This is due to the minerals that exist in hard water that filter out in soft water systems. The rate can even move as fast as 30% quicker in deterioration. You’ll also be able to cut back on maintenance cost of your pipes and appliances.
- No more stains on dishes- This is a little benefit to add to the list. With a water softener, you won’t have water stains on any of your dishes when cleaning them.
- Healthier skin and hair- Another benefit! Soft water provides you with a cleaner and clearer skin. Also, your hair will be shining like never before!
- Better lathering soap- With a water softener, the water that comes into your home will be easier to lather with soap. Thus giving your dishes, counter top, and sinks a sparkling shine. This will also make the soap more effective and easier to use! This means you won’t need to spend tons of money on buying new soap because you’ll be using it at a slower rate.
- Bright colors in your clothes- When you have a water softener, your clothes will be given a brighter coloring. Hard water tends to strip colorful clothes of their visual brightness. Luckily, when you have soft water, you’ll see that radiance after every wash.
- The cost of operation- Unfortunately, water softeners do require a little bit of electricity to be able to function properly. This can add up to be quite a bit. If you’re looking to get a water softener, be sure to take this extra cost into account.
- Potential water waste- Sometimes water softeners tend to waste a good bit of water. Usually its no more than 20 gallons per regeneration cycle. Although that might not seem like a lot, it can add up to be a significant cost on your sewer bill.
- Environmental consequences- This is something to keep in mind if you are environmentally conscious. Water softeners can waste water, which is obviously not a great thing to the environment around your home. This is something to consider when purchasing a water softener.
- Installation costs- When you install a water softener, there will most likely be some costs that come with the installation. Luckily, with Christian Brothers, we can install a softener in no time flat. Though there will be a cost to the installation, we can make it as easy and simple as possible!
- Slippery water- Soft water can be slippery! If you don’t want to have a slipping hazard in your home, you may want to avoid getting a water softener.
In Arizona, having a water softener is something that we believe is greatly beneficial. Due to the extreme heat, your skin might need the extra cleanliness. Also, avoiding scaling in your pipes and increasing the longevity of your household appliances is also ideal. We here at Christian Brothers highly recommend installing a water softener in your home. We can have a licensed, experience technician to your home in no time to help you install!
If you are ever in need of any plumbing, air conditioning, or electrical work, please give Christian brothers a call. We believe in servicing our community in the best way possible. By giving the best customer service possible and providing precise repair. Call us today at 623 499 9794.